Thursday, June 14, 2007

Nearly Live: Mass. State House

At a quarter to 7 a.m. today, the good guys had claimed the best turf (or concrete) on the steps in front of the State House. The anti-marriage-equality amendment may come to a vote before the ConCon and the pro-equality forces are showing.

I biked on the way to work in near Southie and detoured. I guess I expected noise already. I was not surprised at the news crews, but didn't see any of the Dark Side. It was not until I got past the talking heads on wheels that I could see demonstrators.

I counted six TV trucks from different stations. A few were sound checking, but no one was with the people outside.

The pro-equality folk had their table out and there were piles of hand-made signs for those who did not bring their own.

The anti-gay, anti-SSM folk had not been bused in from the burbs yet. As befitting machine, programmed politics, they get handed professionally printed signs with identical colors and slogans. Don't think. We'll tell you what to think.

Word from the assembled pro-equality folk was that people were lining up inside to get gallery seat tickets. That's likely where the TV reporter-like-objects were.

I am not sure I can get back for action, particularly if the ConCon quickly goes into recess or votes. I advise checking at Ryan's Take and BlueMassGroup for possible live blogging where there's news and noise.

Mini-Update: BayWindows is live blogging.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: