Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards Still Talking

Busy people. Busy day. (That was an early reader when my kids were of that age.) I've been gone and am catching up.

Meanwhile, Salon has a worthwhile interview with Elizabeth Edwards. Unlike her husband and all the other Democratic candidates for President except the wild one, she remains candid and clear speaking.

Consider her remarks related to same-sex marriage:
You're here in San Francisco again for another gay rights event. Why do you support gay marriage? Why not civil unions?

I remember hearing [former GOP Sen. Rick] Santorum ranting about how homosexual marriage threatens heterosexual marriage. I could be wrong, but I think heterosexual marriage is threatened more by heterosexuals. I don't know why gay marriage challenges my marriage in any way.

But your husband feels differently; he's a civil unions guy.

Well, I think it's a struggle for him, having grown up in a Southern Baptist church where it was pounded into him. I was raised a Methodist in military churches. Poverty was talked about; I don't remember homosexuality ever being mentioned. And I don't think that Christians who aren't engaged in a political campaign ever talk about it. They talk about poverty and other issues talked about in the Bible. But in churches, in political season, there's plenty of ginning up this issue.

John Boy should listen to the missus.


Tags: , , , ,

No comments: